Information For Students
Which students will be able to take up opportunities in SHU Law?
- All undergraduate Law and Law and Criminology students
- Post-graduate Law students (as part of the LLM in Legal Professional Practice)
- All of the above students will have the opportunity to be involved in a fully regulated law firm irrespective of their academic ability.
- We will develop further opportunities for other students as the business grows and develops
Why does SHU Law matter?
- For students who want to progress into a career in the legal profession, SHU Law offers hands on experience which will fast track them into their chosen career
- For those students that don’t want to become lawyers, SHU Law helps them to develop key transferable employability skills in a real life working environment
- SHU Law is a law firm that prides itself on fully integrating students- they help us make key decisions!
- We offer an all year round service and our services are not restricted to just term time
What facilities are available?
- SHU Law operates from purposely refurbished, bespoke premises (including: reception facilities, telephone suite, client meeting rooms, confidential storage, archiving facilities and configurable teaching rooms
- We have dedicated academic staff and full time practising solicitors meaning that students get the best of both worlds
- We use a bespoke case management system to reflect the IT systems that graduates may be asked to use when venturing into the world of work
Is SHU Law a law clinic?
- SHU Law is a fully regulated law firm.
- We can therefore offer more than advice as we can undertake reserved legal activities (including litigation).
- Students will therefore be able to diversify and have experience of working on cases at different stages.
What does SHU Law offer to clients?
- Our areas of work combine a commercial approach for business clients and entrepreneurs with that of services for personal clients.
- We are a socially responsible ‘not for profit’ law firm; this is not replicated elsewhere.
- This means our client base can be broad so as to widen the opportunities for our students.