Our Latest


Compensation for victims of transgender violence.

Last year it was reported that hate crimes had risen 10% across England and Wales to a record high, amid a surge in transgender attacks.

In 2018-19, the number of recorded transgender incidents was 2,333; a worrying 37% increase.

Hate Crime

Hate crime is homophobic, transphobic or biphobic abuse and includes verbal abuse, physical attacks or sexually threatening or violent behaviour.

If you have been threatened, harassed or attacked because you are LGBT+ or the person abusing you believes that you are, you should report the incident to the police as soon as possible.

I have suffered an injury as a result of a transphobic attack, can I claim compensation?

If you have suffered an injury or mental trauma as a result of a transphobic attack, you can apply to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) for compensation if the crime was committed in the past two years, and if it was reported to the police.

Following a physical attack, take a photo of any visible injuries that you sustained as these may later be used as evidence. Pay-outs for single injuries can be anything up to £250,000.00.

As a victim of a crime you are often given the opportunity to write a victim impact statement, this will allow you to explain not only the emotional impact of the abuse you have experienced, but also the practical impact and financial difficulties that may have arisen, for which you may be entitled to financial compensation, these can include loss of earnings or incurred medical or travel expenses.

Criminal Injuries Compensation (CICA)

Applying for compensation from the CICA can be a complicated and time-consuming process and will require you to include the details of the crime, which you may find distressing.

Our dedicated team can help you through the process and will work hard to secure you the compensation you deserve.

Contact SHU Law

Sally Mallinson-Ayres is experienced in handling CICA cases and will handle your case with compassion and sensitivity.

You can contact Sally for free, confidential advice about your case on s.ayres@shulaw.co.uk / 0114 225 5891.

Support Groups

Sheffield Hallam Students’ Union Liberation Group
Sheffield Hallam University Student Wellbeing
Sheffield Action for Trans Health

< Back to News